Origami is the traditional Japanese art of folding paper to make shapes of all kinds. In this fun craft project, we use some of those techniques to make gruesome monster bookmarks that seem to gobble up the corner of your page.
Note that our use of glue is unorthodox in origami circles, but makes for sturdier bookmarks and simpler instructions, so we are hoping to be forgiven just this once.
Here is what you will need for each bookmark:
- 1 x 6″ square colored paper (origami paper is practical when you can find it pre-cut at that size)
- Scraps of construction paper in various colours – for making eyes, mouth, teeth, and other facial features
- 2 googly eyes (optional)
- A pair of scissors
- A hot glue gun
To make the origami bookmark:
- Fold the paper in half, bottom corner to top corner.
- Fold and glue the bottom-left corner up to the top corner. Repeat with the right corner.
- Turn over, then fold the bottom corner – top layer only – up to the top corner.
- Unfold your last fold and fold back up, in the other direction, into the pocket.
- Make monster facial features (such as eyes, a mouth, a nose, and/or teeth) from your scraps of card stock, and glue them to your bookmark.
And that’s all there is to it!