This origami bow tie model is part of a series celebrating The Day of the Dead.
Even if you don’t celebrate the holiday, you will love this traditional origami bow tie. It can be used as an accessory for a Halloween costume, or to make a handsome greeting card for Dad on Father’s Day.
Can you suggest other creative ways to use this origami bow tie?
The paper bow tie involves only a few folding steps and can be completed in less than five minutes. The following video will demonstrate how to make this model.
Tips and suggestions for making the origami bow tie
- The origami bow tie is made with a rectangular piece of paper proportioned 2:1.
- A 6×3-inch rectangle will be perfect for learning the model.
- Cut a square piece of paper 6×6 inches (15 x 15 cm) in half to make two of the needed rectangles.
- If you are making a bow tie as an accessory for an origami skull use a rectangle with the longer side 1/2 the length of the square used for the skull, and with its shorter side 1/4 the size (shown in the video)
- The finished origami bow tie shows only one side of the paper. It’s not necessary to use paper with a different color on each side.
- The model is flat. To flatten after folding place it under a book.